Impact of Digitalization on AEC
Digitalization is an essential approach to scaling the production of a sustainable, high-performing built environment from a few lighthouse projects to the majority of projects. This year’s CIFE Summer Program will show how owner-operators, design firms, and builders deploy a wide range of digital technologies to address lifecycle concerns more systematically, decarbonize, enhance workforce health and safety, and improve predictability and reliability.
Registration (No fee)
September 14, 2021 - Day 1 (Pacific Daylight Time)
6:45 AM: Webinar opens
6:55 to 7:00 AM: Welcome and introduction to upcoming sessions
7:00 to 8.30 AM: Session 1 - Generative design and design optimization
In addition to digital information and workflows, generative design and design optimization are a major area of application of digital tools. They give project teams the ability to explore the design space more fully by considering dramatically more options and more criteria. They also enable teams to apply code and other constraints as well as knowledge at scale to all projects. The panelists will describe the generative and optimization methods they are deploying and explain the corresponding business opportunities and challenges.
- Blake Courter, CTO, nTopology
- Brian Gracz, Leader, Southwest Region, DPR Construction
- Filippo Ranalli, Graduate Research Assistant at CIFE transitioning to Data Engineering AI/ML at DPR Construction
- Ryan Trinidade, Project Executive, Google
- Jen Carlile, Co-Founder and CTO, Outerlabs.io
9:00 to 10.30 AM: Session 2 - Government and whole-country initiatives
Digitalizing the built environment at the country level through programs led and sponsored by governments can significantly speed up the widespread adoption of digital methods by owners, architects, builders, operators and others engaged in creating and managing the built environment. It can also offer benefits beyond the AEC industry. The panelists will discuss respective visions and initiatives in their countries.
- Stefan Holy, Deputy Prime Minister, Slovak Republic
- Neil Thompson, Head, Construction Innovation Hub, Centre for Digital Built Britain
3:55 to 4:00 PM: Welcome and introduction to upcoming sessions
4:00 to 5.30 PM: Session 3 - Impact of digitalization on the workforce
The AEC industry is starting to deploy technologies like robotics and digital information appliances in the field. These technologies have the potential to improve the working conditions for craft workers. Panelists will offer their perspectives on opportunities and challenges of digitalization for the craft workforce. The panelists will also address what each of them are doing to build the craft workforce for the increasingly digital future.
- Jack Poindexter, Northwest Self-Perform Work Group Leader, DPR Construction
- Steve Whitmer, BIM Manager, ACCO Engineered Systems
- Jorge Luis Izquierdo, Chief Operating Officer, COSAPI
- Kevin Albert, Co-founder and CEO, CANVAS
6:00 to 7:30 PM: Session 4 - How to improve the usability and operability of buildings
Digital methods also offer unprecedented opportunities for improving the use and operations phase of projects through proactive consideration of usability and operability concerns during design and through improved facility management. The speakers will share how they are improving the performance of their built assets through digital technologies.
- Alex Liu, Sr. Manager, Digital Project Delivery and Building Automation, Johnson and Johnson
- Carlos Delgado, Director of Design and Construction, Megacentro
- Roger Silveira, Director of Facilities, Maintenance & Operations, East Side Union High School District
September 15, 2021 - Day 2 (Pacific Daylight Time)
6:55 to 7:00 AM: Introduction to upcoming sessions
7:00 to 8:30 AM: Session 5 - Project management reimagined with digital methods
Digital tools like reality capture, real-time jobsite monitoring, robotics in offsite manufacturing, etc. are starting to be used in the AEC industry. The speakers will share case studies on how they utilize advanced technologies on projects today, including the challenges and benefits their project teams are realizing with these tools. They will also offer an outlook on how project management will likely change with increased adoption of digital methods.
- Bill Brown, Senior Project Manager, Austin Commercial
- Richard Hage, Director of Global Strategy, Data Center Engineering, Microsoft
- Yujin Lee, Postdoctoral Scholar, CIFE, Stanford University
- Øyvind Børstad, Head, Corporate Development, HENT
9:00 to 10:30 AM: Session 6 - Decarbonization
Decarbonization of the built environment is one of the main, if not the main, challenges the AEC industry faces for the foreseeable future. It requires engagement from all types of companies involved in the built environment as well as adjustments in the education of AEC professionals. This session will show what building decarbonization means for design professionals and for educators of design professionals.
- Patrick Thibaudeau, Principal Sustainability Officer, JLG Architects
- Peter Rumsey, Founder and CEO, Point Energy Solutions
- Nea Maloo, Professor of Architecture, Howard University
3:55 to 4:00 PM: Introduction to upcoming sessions
4:00 to 5:30 PM: Session 7 - Supporting corporate strategy with digital strategy
The last 18 months of COVID has highlighted the key role technology and digitalization has played in the AEC industry. Digital tools have not only helped keep our industry delivering projects, but has also created an unprecedented opportunity to innovate the project delivery process and the business models. From their respective roles in the industry, the panelists will discuss how their corporate strategy is being influenced by digitalization and how their companies are benefiting from these opportunities.
- Emily Harer, Lead Product Owner, Target
- Johannes Paefgen, Director, Hilti Technology Office Boston
- Joshua Mercado, Director, BIM and Technology Integration, The Boldt Company
6:00 to 7:30 PM: Session 8 - Panel on future practice and opportunities for young staff
The AEC industry is in the throes of digitalization and this provides an exciting time for a young person to join the industry and make an immediate impact. In this panel discussion, we will talk with senior leaders from a range of AEC companies on how the industry is evolving and hear their advice for people entering the workforce today.