CIFE attempts to address fundamental research questions, which typically ask
- What is a theory, based on fundamental principles, which can be used to describe and explain or predict elements of (sustainable) design, construction and operations?
- What is a method to operationalize a new theory using socially embedded computer methods?
- What is the power and generality of the theory and innovative method?
Translational Research at CIFE
The goal of CIFE research is transformation: to improve project (virtual) design and construction in ways that dramatically and measurably contribute to exceptionally reliable engineering and management processes to design, construct and operate sustainable facilities.
The method we use is “translation” to integrate:
- Baseline observations of practice – typically the projects of CIFE member organizations.
- Theory that integrates fundamentals of engineering, basic sciences, social and political sciences.
- Results of field intervention studies – on member jobs.
CIFE translational research gives practitioners the opportunity to identify, explore, develop and apply new methods that have great potential value … with low risk and (relatively) low cost.
We try to explicitly recognize and practice cultural values and remain:
- Open and transparent: to members, colleagues and students;
- Directed toward big ideas: believable breakthrough vision for members and students;
- Evidence-based: seek and respect measured results to precise questions;
- Systematic: drive from Mission - strategy - objectives - plans - actions - reflection -updates
- Focused: serve our members, students and the university; help the industry as we can.
CIFE Seed 2013-14 Projects
- Space Constraint Method - M. Fischer, M. Lepech, R. Morkos
- Using MDO to Support Sequential Conceptual Design Decisions - M. Lepech, M. Fischer, F. Flager, J.Basbagill
- A Framework for Bringing 3D Printing into the Construction Industry - M. Fischer, V. Bazjanac, N. Mrazovic
- Integrated Virtual Parts Library—Parts List Definition - M. Fischer, C. Kam, B. Schwegler, C. Chi, D. Hall, H. Chen, J. Wei, N. Zhao, P. Padachuri, S. Tao
- Statistical Analysis of KPIs: the Missing Links in the VDC Decision Making Process - M. Fischer, C. Kam, S. Khalessi, D. Senaratna
- Enhancing Pre-Construction Decision-Making on Sustainable Commercial Building Projects - M. Lepech, G. Griggs, K. Abraham
- Achieving Large-scale Energy Reduction in Commercial Buildings Using Closed Loop Energy Analysis (CLEAN) - M. Fischer, C. Kam, P. Shiel
CIFE Seed 2012-13 Projects
- Power to the Edge: A Work Tracking System for Construction: M.Fischer, R. Levitt, N. Garcia-Lopez
- Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Buildings for Life-Cycle Cost and Environmental Impact Performance: M. Lepech, M. Fischer, F. Flager, J. Basbagill
- Incorporating Human and Social Behavior in Computational Egress Analysis:K. Law, J.C. Latombe, P. Parigi, M. Chu
- Seeding Scalable Workflow Productivity Improvements: M. Fischer, M. Steinert, R. Senescu, A. Head
- Space Constraint Method: M. Fischer, M. Lepech, R. Morkos
- Assessing the Impact of IPD on Adoption of Innovations Related to Energy Efficiency: R. Levitt, M. Fischer, A. Algiers, D. Hall, P.Padachuri
CIFE Seed 2011-12 Projects
- Space Constraint Modeler: M. Fischer, M. Lepech, R. Morkos
- A Computational Framework for Egress Analysis with Realistic Human Behaviors: K. Law, J. Latombe, M. Chu
- Improving the Cost-Effectiveness and Scalability of Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) for Daylighting Simulation using Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Computing, and Uncertainty Analysis: M. Fischer, G. Iaccarino, B. Welle, C. Druzgalski
- Dynamic Performance Monitoring and Management: A Metric-Based Framework to Better Predict Project Success: M. Fischer, B. Schwegler, W. Li
- DRSense - Automated and Scalable Assessment of Demand Response for Green Building Portfolios: R. Rajagopal, A. El Gamal, A. Narayan
- Improving Facility Performance Prediction by Formalizing an Activity-Space-Performance Model: M. Fischer, R. Rajagopal, T. Kim, A, Kavousian
CIFE Seed 2009-10 Projects
- Utilizing Modern Prefabrication Technologies and Supply Chain Management Strategies to Achieve Dramatic Schedule Reductions: M. Fischer, H. Lee, R. Wilson
- Improving Design Processes through Collaborating, Sharing, and Understanding: J. Haymaker, R. Senescu, N. Kim
- Improving Multidisciplinary Optimization Methods in AEC: J. Haymaker, I. Kroo, B. Welle, F. Flager
- Social Networking for Sustainable Building Practices: M. Lepech, M. Fischer, S. Russell-Smith
- Sustainable Design and Manufacturing of Prefabricated Durable Infrastructure: M. Lepech, A. Shuck
- 3D World Project Neighborhood in Support of IPD in Geographically Distributed Teamwork: K. Law, R. Fruchter